Whole veal shank from the grill with sweet potato baked in foil and broccoli dip
- 1 (about 2.5 kg) veal shank
- 2 level tbsp salt
For the sweet potato and dip:
- 4 small sweet potatoes (each about 250 g)
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 4 sprigs of rosemary
- 1 head of broccoli, cut into florets
- 100 g toasted pine nuts
- 200 g sour cream
- 2 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- Salt & pepper to taste
> 60 minutes
- Pre-heat the barbecue to 170-180°C (338-356°F) for slow, indirect grilling (about 2.5 hours). Score the layer of fat around the veal shank diagonally. Rub salt vigorously into the shank and score marks. Leave to stand for 10 minutes, then place on the rack above a drip tray, layer of fat facing up. Close the barbecue lid and allow to grill for about 2.5 hours, until the shank is cooked through.
- Place each sweet potato on a square of kitchen foil. Brush with olive oil, prick several times with a fork and wrap each one in the kitchen foil along with 1 sprig of rosemary and a little salt. Place on rack with the veal shank, about 45 minutes before cooking time ends.
- To make the dip, let the broccoli cook for about 5 minutes, then drain and puree with the pine nuts, 100 g sour cream, garlic and lime juice. Fold in the remaining sour cream, season to taste. Chill until ready to serve.
- When the core temperature is around 75°C (167°F), remove shank from the barbecue, carve the meat from the bone and serve with sweet potatoes and broccoli dip.