Asian-style braised veal blade for Easter
For the Veal Blade:
- 750 g veal blade
- 4 onions
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 2 stalks of lemongrass
- 2 spring onions
- 200 g boemboe for rendang
- 400 ml coconut milk
- 200 ml water
- 4 tbsp rice oil or olive oil
For the rice:
- 2 cups of pandan rice
- Dash of oat milk
- 50 g sugar
- 100 ml water
- Vanilla bean
- Yellow bell pepper
- Orange bell pepper
- 2 eggs
- A couple of basil leaves
- Olive oil
- Casserole dish
Recipe Veal Blade stew:
- Remove the veal stew from the refrigerator and sprinkle salt and pepper on both sides. Let this soak in well. Do you want the salt and pepper to absorb even better into the meat? Make sure you do this the night before. Cover the meat tightly in the refrigerator.
- Cut the veal stew into nice small pieces of about 2 cm.
- Heat half of the rice oil / olive oil in the casserole and brown the meat for about 5 minutes.
- Place the meat on a platter and let it rest for a while.
- Finely chop the garlic and onions and halve the lemongrass stems lengthwise.
- Heat the rest of the rice oil / olive oil in the pan and fry the garlic and onions. Make sure the onions get nice and glassy.
- Add the rendang bumbu and mix well with the garlic and onions.
- Now it is time to add the meat along with the lemongrass stems, water and coconut milk. Bring this to a boil and keep a close eye on it. When it boils, lower the heat again and stew with the lid on the pan for about 1.5 hours.
- Meanwhile, make the pandan rice cream. The recipe is below.
- Meanwhile, boil the eggs for about 9 minutes in a pan with boiled water. Let it cool and peel off the skin. Slice the eggs and add them when preparing the plate.
- Now remove the lemongrass stems from the pan.
- Serve the meat together with the cream of the pandan rice and the slices of eggs on a nice plate.
- Decorate it with different kinds of cold vegetables. For example cucumbers and peppers. Top it off with some basil leaves and a little olive oil.
Tip: Prepare this dish a day in advance so that the flavors are absorbed even better.
Recipe Pandan Rice Cream:
- Boil enough water in a pan with a pinch of salt.
- Add 2 coffee cups of rice to the pan and cook the rice.
- Slowly drain the pan and make sure the rice is still warm.
- Now add a dash of oat milk and some vanilla from a vanilla pod.
- Meanwhile, make some sugar syrup by mixing 100 ml with 50 grams of sugar in a measuring cup and add to the rice.
- Stir well into a nice smooth cream. If this does not work properly, use a hand blender. Let it cool down well.
Enjoy your meal!