Stir-fried Calf liver, Bourguignonne style
- 4 slices of 150 g each of calf liver
- 2 tbsp. spoons of flour
- 1 tbsp. spoon of olive oil
- 1 clove of garlic, finely chopped
- 1 medium-sized onion, cut into strips
- 200 ml of Spanish sauce (packet mix ‘sauce espagnole’)
- 100 ml of red wine, or to be replaced by veal fond
- 2 tbsp. spoons of soaked raisins
- 100g of small mushrooms
- 100g of bacon, cut into strips
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
Chop the veal liver into strips measuring 1cmx1cmx6cm. Sprinkle them with flour and freshly ground pepper, shaking off the excess flour. Prepare the Spanish sauce according to the instructions on the packet, add the red wine and simmer for 5 minutes.
Heat the olive oil in a non-stick wok and stir-fry the strips of veal liver until they are golden brown but still pink on the inside. Remove the strips of veal liver from the wok, sprinkle with salt and keep warm. In the remaining olive oil, stir-fry the onion and garlic (do not allow to turn brown), add the mushrooms and the bacon, and stir-fry until golden brown. Add the Spanish sauce, bring to the boil while stirring, and season with salt and pepper. Finally, add the strips of veal liver and the soaked raisins to warm through.
Serve with fried chicory and roasted potatoes.